Monday, January 9, 2012

DIY Binder of Cuteness! (No Sewing)

Ok so I've been wanting to do this for a while. I saw a binder covered with fabric on a website this Summer and I loved them, but they were SO expensive (I'm talking $45-$50), and I wasn't about to pay that much even though they were SO CUTE. Well a few months ago I decided I wanted to attempt to make my own. So I went out to my local craft store, and Target picked up some fabric and ribbon and some hot glue sticks a binder, and some dividers and they'be been sitting on my bookshelf for months!

Ao today my creativeness FINALLY said, "LET'S MAKE THIS BINDER". Keep in mind here that I didn't have any directions or tutorial to go by. I just kind of made it up as I was going along. Here is what I did step by step to make it earlier today. I hope you really like it!

Items needed:
Binder
2 types of fabric
batting/felt padding
ribbon
Hot Glue
Hot Glue Gun


*Open binder flat and measure and cut felt to match the entire length of the binder and hot glue the edges down.
~It doesn't have to be cut perfectly at all. It won't ever be seen! I used some scraps I had left over from a Snuggle Monster.


*Next measure out your binder fabric by opening up your binder and placing in on top of the fabric. (I was measuring for two that's why you can see the colored fabric. If you just measure for one you'd see the back side of the fabric. Fold the fabric inside the binder so that you can see how far it will cover of the inside (and that it is covering close to the same amount on each side).


Remember to leave a little extra fabric on the top and bottom to fold over and glue. That way you won't see any of the white binder.


*After you have it to where you think you're going to love it, cut out the fabric.


*Next You are going to want to glue the extra fabric you left on the top and bottom of the binder all the way across.
OOPS, I didn't take a photo to go along with this, but you'll see where I did it in the photo that goes with the next step.

* After you've glued the top and bottom, you are going to fold over and glue the sides.
~You can see here where I folded over and glued the top and bottom first.


*Make sure you glue these ends down well so you won't get loose fabric on your binder anywhere.


*Now you'll see the area on either side of the silver bar that is not covered. You can still see the white binder. So you are going to take the second fabric you got and cut a piece about the size of the front cover of the binder (This size will also depend on what size binder you get).


*Fold the two ends into the middle of the fabric and cut down the middle.


*Now you have two pieces. Fold over the edges and glue. I used pins to help keep everything in place while I glued.


*After you glue both pieces, you are not going to glue them into your binder, and now the inside is done.


*Here's what the binder looks like so far.


*Now to decorate. At this point you can do whatever you want. Add buttons, more of fabric 2, ribbons, you name it. The possibilities are endless. Here's what I did.

I decided to use some of the left over fabric 2 and some ribbon I had picked up. I knew I wanted to layer the ribbon over it but wasn't sure where I wanted it to go. So I played around a bit.

Option 1:


Option 2:


Option 3:


UGH, I am never good at choosing, unless it's for something I know I don't want.


I finally chose option.......1.


Now for this all I did was fold and glue the fabric like I had done earlier I glued that down to the binder first and then I cut my ribbon. TO prevent my ribbon from having those frayed edges, I took a lighter to it. It almost melts the edges of the ribbon. That's a little tip-a-roo from me to you! So I glued the ribbon on top of fabric 2.

I had extra ribbon so I then took some and glued it to the spine of the binder as well.

Well there ya have it... the binder is done and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the way it turned out. Not bad from pulling the directions out of no where and just giving it a try!

Final product:







***I'm thinking about selling these from my Staceybug Creations Facebook page for $15-$20.... can't decide on the exact price.

No comments: