Monday, July 14, 2014

New Couch For the New Place

     We needed to find a couch since we sold our set before moving. The set was nice but it was very grand and getting really old to where you could feel the wooden base when you leaned on the back. You couldn't tell by the way it looked. We wanted something cheap but nice quality, something that if we got rid of it after the year of living where we are, we'd have no problem selling it for next to nothing.

Our one day mission to find a deal:

     We started our journey by seeing what IKEA had to offer. We are NOT fans of the low to the ground couches at all that IKEA is known for, but they had some other styles. Well turns out it costs just as much to ship it as it would to buy it. So IKEA was out.

    We checked out a chain furniture store in town that I am not a fan of at all because of the pushy salespeople but according to their painted windows they were having a sale, so we went in. I had to tell the SAME PERSON 4 times as she followed us around the store, that we are just looking and the last time I gave her the "teacher look" so she would back off. We left not soon after that. You know even if that store had nice quality pieces which it really didn't, and the prices were reasonable, which they were not, I still wouldn't buy from them because of the poor customer service.


    Next we went to a local furniture store that was going out of business. Employee was super friendly until he wouldn't let my husband and I look around. He wanted to be our guide and that is not what we wanted. I told him we were just looking, and he proceed to ask me what department I was looking for so he could point us in the right direction, I again told him that we were just looking, and he then tells me that it's a big 3 story store (It was an old building that was a split level.... not 3 stories). I told him we'll manage and that again, we were JUST LOOKING. After he could tell I was getting frustrated with him, again the teacher look was given, he backed off and left us alone. This store had nice, quality furniture, with the prices to match. So we looked around the entire store at everything just for fun and left.

    I get, I really do, these people work on commission, HOWEVER, that does not mean you badger the customer until they cave. I am a teacher.... I work with 20+ students 5 days a week, I do not cave.

    So, back tracking to a few days before yesterday we were at Big Lots. Don't underestimate that store. It's been around since before I was born AND it is still kicking after a few name changes. You never know what you are going to find there..... they had Keurig coffee makers there for less than $100... get what I'm saying. That is a MAJOR SCORE in itself. So we went to grab something basics, tape, push pins etc. and the woman at the register gave me a 20% off coupon for my entire purchase for Sunday, July 13th only.

   Fast forward to yesterday again, I remembered I had that coupon and suggested to the husband that we go check it out, though I was skeptical because in the past some their furniture has not been awesome. I should have listened to my own words of wisdom "You never know what you are going to find there" because we found a Simmons Sofa and love seat but we only wanted the sofa. They were selling it for $360 then with my 20% off it knocked the price down to $288! Yeah I said $288 for a Simmons Sofa. It's high quality for a bargain basement price. Here's the website photo of the sofa and then the display model in store:  It does come with the two pillows as well.

The actual color is a mix of the brown on the top and the brown on the display model. It's neutral and perfect for our Coastal themed family room. It should come in 1-3 weeks. I'm hoping it'll come this week and it's not damaged from the ride here, so we can get it in. We've got our first house guest coming to stay for a few days next week and it would be nice to not have to sit in rolly chairs while we relax and watch TV.













No comments: